Saturday, December 6, 2008

MIA, but-- On the Mend!

Photobucket I trust everyone had a good Thanksgiving dinner, and that it was spent among family and friends. Though my oven ended up on the fritz-- No Worries! I merely went ahead and cooked the sweet potatoes, prepared the soufflĂ© and topping, and cooked it once I got to my sister’s house. It's more like a dessert anyway, so it didn't interfere with her preparations and it baked while we ate dinner. I also took along some fresh made (all organic) whipped cream. After learning the true ingredients of Cool Whip--a family holiday staple [See: wired magazine: issue 15.05 Polysorbate 60 & Sorbitan Monostearate]--I vowed to never eat it again. So, I now take my own dessert topping to all holiday functions.
.
And yes. As the lack of entries shows, I
admit to being out of action since my last post. When I last communicated my NaNo Stats, that break ended up much longer than I'd intended. And when I came back up here that night (and in the days that followed), to resume my effort, aside from the pain, I simply couldn’t concentrate! But-- I'm back. Well, sort of-- though, in a different kind of recovery mode.
.
Earlier this week I had one of my regular follow up visits with my GP. After reading off a laundry list of issues, he said it was time to run a few tests. He had a technician draw blood and then sent me home. The initial blood work revealed I’m dehydrated. "You’re kidding!" I replied in disbelief when the medical assistant called to tell me to, "stop taking your PB meds and drink plenty of fluids."
.
"I drink all kinds of liquids." I assured her.
.
She indicated there was likely another cause, but wouldn't say anything further. Except that my GP wanted me back in straight away. That was Wednesday.
.
Once in the examination room, the technician came in to draw more blood. And when my doctor finally walked in [to ease my burgeoning wonder], his first words were, "You’re in trouble!"
.
Okaaay! Not my first choice of introductory words. And I admit I sat there agape; absolutely speechless. He then proceeded to explain the tests indicate a severe depletion of potassium. The numbers were such that it warranted another test to verify that they were indeed correct. He also stated my blood sugar was too low and mentioned the dreaded “D” word. When he asked if Diabetes ran in my family, fortunately, I was able to say it does not.
.
The good news of the day? My thyroid is fine. Woo-hoo there!
.
So. After doing my own research, Thursday, on the depletion of potassium and low blood sugar, the symptoms I’ve suffered of recent [i.e., that laundry list of complaints], now makes much more sense. I filled the prescription to supplement my potassium and am working to get myself back up to par. Though I'm still waiting for the results of the second round of tests, and further instructions from my GP, I feel better just knowing the foundation. The rest will come in time.
.
That's it for now. More soon.
Blessings

No comments: