Thursday, December 18, 2008

To Say, or Not to Say

I'm sorry, but I have to ask why is there even a question?
.
Earlier this week I forwarded an update of my Pearls of Wisdom site, and I offered a rare quote of my own on, Pearls of the Holiday Season. You'll find it by scrolling down to the last section of quotes. Granted this is not the time of year to aggravate my readers, but someone needs to put an end to the whining about, "We're not allowed to say Merry Christmas anymore!"
.
Let's expound upon that here. Yes we are! No one ever said we couldn't. As I indicated in my Pearls quote, we can say Merry Christmas to our family and friends and those we know celebrate in the same way. This isn't a matter taking the Christ out of Christmas, for heaven's sake. But the birth of Christ is not the only recognized holiday celebrated at this time of year.
.
There are those who honor the Winter Solstice, which falls on Dec. 21st; this coming Saturday. Hanukkah begins at sundown on the same day, and is celebrated by millions through Dec. 29th. And, though still relatively new (and its validity questioned by some), Kwanzaa begins Dec. 26th and ends Jan. 1st. Least we forget there are those who don’t follow the Christian or Judean faiths, but work among those of us who do.
.
I worked for a Dutch-owned corporation (prior to my going on LTD), and my co-workers came from all walks of life, beliefs, and nations; Christians, Pagans, Muslims, and Jews. There came a day when our supervisors could no longer schedule a "Christmas Luncheon," and called it instead, a "Holiday Luncheon" or-- outing of such. Worked for me!
.
Unfortunately, it’s the Christians that put up the greatest fuss. I was baptized as a Methodist and grew up within the Christian faith. But I know Christianity is far from the only belief system, and there are hypocrisies that can be argued of any faith. We’ve all seen them play out in the news.
.
But this is a season that claims above all else, ‘good will towards men.’ Happy Holidays or Season’s Greetings are matters of Grace. They are salutations that exclude no one. I argue here that when we find ourselves gathered among people of many faiths and nationalities, the gracious thing to do is to be respectful and inclusive.
.
Many Blessings and Happy Holidays, to All

No comments: