Monday, October 26, 2009

Studio Tour ~ Part Two

The Closet
.
That’s right. Though it wasn’t even that messy, I let this little niche of my creative world go undiscovered. I didn’t open the doors to this part of my studio for the virtual studios tour, earlier this month. I had stacks of projects and fabrics on top of the tubs instead of back inside; from whence they came. Due to pending work on an art quilt [more likely a journal quilt], this particular issue has since been resolved.
.
Some will remember I spoke about my ironing board [though considerably useful in more ways than one] , as the sore point in the studio. When I leave it out it restricts my movement. And I’m constantly dragging it back and forth; in and out of the way. I’ll address the suggestions made during the tour soon. For now, -- if anyone can figure a way to put wheels on this, I’m game to give it a try!
.
Also, when it’s up [and not really in use], it becomes the favored place for either Lucy or Pearl to preen and nap. When I collapse it down and lean it against the closet doors it becomes a tempting scratching post. They are usually dissuaded from either activity when I opt to use it as a clutter catcher instead. Okaaay! So it doesn’t always work!
.
ANYway, here’s a look [below] inside my studio closet. Yardage is generally relegated to the shelf. I picked up three lap throw-sized fleece blankets on sale for $1.99 each. I used one as the batting in the log cabin quilt that I finished earlier this year.
.
I have several tubs that I use for my fabric stash. All sorted out by use, i.e., quilting fabrics; fashion fabrics; scraps; holiday fabrics; wool blends etc. The suitcase is currently the home of projects that remain either unfinished, still in the mulling-it-over stage, or are no longer relevant, but I can repurpose the fabrics for something else.
.
Due to my health limitations, I need to seriously readdress the use of all of these tubs. I can’t move them about like I used to; they’re simply too heavy. Hence, whenever I return something to that area, it all gets layed out on top of the tubs and not back inside. I need easier access to the fabrics, and was truly inspired by many of the fabric artists and quilters [of the above-mentioned tour] who store their stashs out in the open; whether in baskets or shelves or bookcases.
.
Note: As I'm still making my way through the tour list, I'll come back and update this post with a few examples and links at a *later date.

*ADDED 10-28: Candied Fabrics, Cloth to Creation,
.
I took a day last week, when I felt like getting out and about, and stopped in a local thrift store to see what I might find. Nothing to use for shelving, but I did leave with a vintage handkerchief and a small beaded bracelet that I may work into a handbag or an art quilt.
.
To the left is where I hang certain yardage such as velvets and recently-washed unbleached muslin. These are waiting for various dye baths. There are also a few tops and skirts waiting to be repurposed as well. I bought two tops a few years back and tried on only one of them. Though the inserts and fabrics were nothing but a variation on the same theme [and pattern], when I got home I found that one sleeve was a good 2-3 inches longer than the other. Needless to say, it still has the ticket on it and waits patiently for my undivided attention.
.
There's one tub that's filled with nothing but recycled/repurposed paper; different colors and textures for future hand made papers. In the full on shot above you can see a tall stack of cup carriers that I’ve saved from numerous trips to Tim Horton’s, for cappuccino. In the previous shot you'll notice a few paper egg cartons; all destined for papermaking.
.
To the right are storage units for printer and graphic paper, along with photo mats and small picture frames.
.
At the top are a few bolts of various cording and trims. About 3-4 years back, one of the local JoAnn Fabric and Crafts stores closed down [to move into a much larger facility], and I bought seven yards of that 3” burgundy bullion fringe [which generally runs anywhere from $11-12 a yard], for 90 percent off. Oh yeah! For me, that was the buy of the sale.
.
Let's go back to my display hutch for a moment. During that same sale [which lasted a few weeks], I bought a good twenty yards of various fabrics, lots of cards of buttons, and dozens of spools of organdy, satin, and silk ribbons for 70 to 90 percent off.
.
A couple of years later, Hancock Fabrics went out of business, but by then I no longer had the funds for that kind of shopping, as medical bills took priority.
.
Well, that’s it for the extended portion of my tour and this little diatribe. My next post will be a thank you to Quilting Arts' [IN THE STUDIO WITH CATE], Cate Prato, for the very cool door prize.
.

.
.
.

.

On a closing note: Anyone need a little flat bottom one of a kind status bag?
.
This is my Garden Lantern Handbag [named for the oriental lanternesque beads that I used.] and it is ju-u-ust about ready for sale. It needs a finishing touch here and there, and then it is done. The surprise is the beadwork and silk ribbon embroidery on the inside of the bag.
.
Time to focus some attention on building up my Etsy account. I registered for HeartSong Studios earlier this year, but I don't like some of the things I've heard, recently, about PayPal, i.e. putting holds on sellers's accounts [a huge complaint on ebaY], and most recent, putting holds on revolving balances. Okaaay, that's another topic for discussion for another time. But-- if anyone has any input on Etsy and PayPal, feel free to leave a comment. I value enduser experience.
.
Thanks for stopping by.
.
Blessings
.
Hummmmm.... Who's that napping underneath the overhang?

No comments: