Saturday, October 17, 2009

Quality Control

If you visited my blog during the Virtual Open Studios Tour you caught a glimpse of the lap throw I finished recently. I used the basic Stockinette Stitch and knit it off size 13 aluminum needles. I used three skeins of RED HEART Light & Lofty yarn [in Antique Rose] for the body, and two skeins for the crocheted lace edge.
.
I can tell you right now, though, I will not pick up those needles again any time soon. While they are quite light and knit beautifully, once they are weighed down by 73 stitches of super bulky yarn, they become too heavy to deal with for extended periods of time. And I say this based on health limitations. I could only handle knitting two, maybe 3 rows at a time [and sometimes only one], before my shoulders ached and my hands started to go numb. And this was a recovery mode project; knitted while giving my back and legs a break from other strenuous activity.
.
In retrospect, this project ended up serving as a reminder to consider working with circular needles the next time around [though that would require a financial investment], and-- it reinforced my desire to continue practicing, and learn to knit Continental style.
.
I'm not sure, though, that if switching styles would aleviate the weight-related strain from my hands, arms, and shoulders. Especially when my right arm and shoulder were not as bothered by the right hand throwing, as much as my left in dealing with the weight coming off the giving needle. But. This is likely a discussion [and reasoning] for another time.
.
As soon as I got things set up and shot off a couple of photos, Pearl jumped from the desk [directly behind me] and landed in the middle of the folded throw; which then slid across the table top. I pulled at the throw, bringing it and her back into position. Where, without missing a beat, she proceeded with the Quality Control portion of the process.
.
Here she is testing the Knead Factor.
.
Yes! I drew in a quick intake of breath, and surpressed the initial desire to say, "N0-o-o-o-o!"
.
Regardless whether it was straight off the needles, it's a lap throw. And in this house it is going to get kneaded on!
.
So. I resumed breathing and left her to do her job.
.
Pearl went straight to the Whole Heart Test, where she opted for the Full-Throttle Purr Long Draw Method. In other words, she really pulled at the threads. And, suffice it to say, it doesn't mean I wasn't standing there and musing over some form of, 'I haven't even used it yet.'
.
But. It passed. And with flying colors. Which is why I like this novelty yarn. It's pet tested. Literally. (~: When she jumped down to chase after her sister, there wasn't even the first snag to work back into place.
.
As I've gotten side-tracked a time or three, there are still a few loose ends to weave in before it's put into full use, but-- that's simply another Recovery Mode Project.
.
More soon! Blessings

No comments: