Sunday, April 26, 2009

My Little Copy Cat

.
I never gave much thought to the old "copy cat" axiom until I brought Lucy and Pearl home from the Humane Society-- what? Four years ago now? They were presented as sisters [and are very good with each other], though I suspect each simply befriended the other and the HS did not have the heart to separate them. I say this because their records show two different birth dates.
.
I also suspect it had more to do with them noticing some health issues in Pearl that I will be forever watchful of, and is why the two kittens were adopted out as two for the price of one. No worries! I am quite thankful for both of them. For these last few years, they've truly been my saving graces.
.
But! What have I learned while growing up with these two? I now know exactly from whence the above axiom is derived! My Lucy is the quintessential example of a Copy Cat.
.
It started when my little tuxedo kitty would dart under the bed to play the kitten version of peek-a-boo. I would say, "Where'd Pearl go? ... Where's my Pearl?" And she would lift her head from under the bedskirt and rush back out. I would then respond, "There she is!"
.
Well! It didn't take long for Lucy to follow suit; with Lucy being much the quicker at reappearing upon hearing, "Where's Lucy?" Sometimes I can walk into the bedroom, carrying fresh laundry, and she heads straight away under the bed. She won't come out until I ask, "Where'd Lucy go?"
.
I've actually left the room, having forgotten she was under there, and returned to say, "Where's my Lucy?"
.
"There she is!"
.
There are other examples of copycatism, though the most recent is due to Pearl's fascination with playing feetsies while I'm trying to write. First she sits and scratches at the front panel of the desk. To which I respond by tapping with my foot from this side of the panel. Then we play off of each other, tapping back and forth. Eventually Pearl pounces with both feet and it then progresses to reaching under the desk to grab at my ankle or foot.
.
One afternoon I stopped to look under to find the four-footed-furry-person who just snagged my sock was in fact Lucy! And once again, there's my little Copy Cat. In action. One too many, "Pearl! You silly girl!" I suspect.
.
That's it for today. I've had three days of running errands [as I can handle only one stop a day] and my back needs a break from this chair.
.
SPECIAL NOTE: My review of Hex Breaker is coming soon!
.
Blessings

No comments: