Friday, April 3, 2009

The Friday Five Favorites of April 3rd

.
Well, it's the end of another week and April Fools Day came and went with the biggest joke expected yet to be played. The last few days were exceptionally gorgeous, but the thunder rumbled in during the night and the monsoon has arrived. The bird feeders are teaming with activity, and the first of the female Brown-headed Cowbirds finally appeared this morning.
.
There's a new Quote of the Month in the sidebar. And what of those two nature-related poems sent out earlier this week? This morning I found they were rejected. I'll assume, for now, they'll be better suited else where. I'm heading off for coffee and to reflect on this month's game plan.
.
Today I thought I'd focus on five blog and web posts that gave me serious pause to think. All were found while following My Tweeps!
.
#1-- Writing Professional Blog Posts to Improve Content & Readership – How to be better?
.
I found something helpful with every tip offered. Where Soul Echoes does help in collecting my thoughts and practicing my craft, I am trusting my entries give people an insight into who I am. I also like to think my perspective brings something new to the writing mix.
.
#2-- Monthly Assessment – March
.
Lori Widmer’s post helped in assessing I’d accomplished more, last month, than I'd initially given myself credit. I continue to read her blog as it proves an excellent window into the world of freelance writing. With my time management skills having deteriotated over recent years, this helped in my posting an actual plan for the month of April.
.
#3-- Marketing and Promoting a Picture Book – One Writer’s Journey
.
I suffered several co-workers my extensive collection of nature photos. One commented that I should do a children's picture book, as "there's nothing out there with real photos. It's all artist's renderings." A few years ago I loaded some of my photos, taken one summer at a local marsh, into Slide. As I added captions, it occurred to me that this is exactly what one might look like.
.
I found the above post an invaluable view of what I might be in for if I fully immerse myself into A Day at the Marsh.
.
#4-- Blogger’s Blogs I’m Following Reading List
.
OK. n-n-n-Not so much a specific post, but, with the brainfog related to Rx drugs and Fibromyalgia, I've found this Dashboard feature very useful. And my list has grown by several entries just in the just last couple of weeks. I know there are blog rolls and favorites lists on everyone’s blogs. I avail myself of, and hope to find Soul Echoes listed in any one of them one day. But this particular feature resonates best in my keeping up with everyone. I may not have time to respond, or leave a comment, but maybe with my Friday Fives I can periodically give everyone their due.
.
Like today’s charming post at Paperback Writer. Her story brought to mind the childhood memory of the efforts my mother and father took in order to protect a mother dove’s nest and babies. The doors of the old family home garage opened outward similar to how certain closet doors fold open. Think cottage-styled wooden louver shutters. A Mourning Dove started to build her nest in the ‘v’ of the fold on one of the doors that was left open over a weekend's time. Dove nests are surprising fragile so my father pulled out a couple of large cinder blocks and placed them one on either side of the door. The wind alone moved those old doors. That left the garage open to the elements for all the weeks it took the mothering dove to lay and hatch her eggs, and the twin chicks to grow and fledge.
.
#5-- My Home page on Twitter.

Again, though not so much a blog or web post, I feel the need to give it fair due. I understand that self-marketing is part of the whole package of the publishing industry these days. Twitter is helping me to better learn the art, albeit one facet, of Social Media Networking. And I am grateful to my Followers. You are my mentors and teachers!

Blessings,

No comments: