Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Power of The Hook

Writing Tip of the Day: April 1, 2008
Hook your editor with a strong opening sentence
to bring attention to your writing.
.
Couldn't let this one pass by without being addressed.
.
Hooks, pitches, and the dreaded first dark and stormy line. What do they all have in common? Mostly that I have a difficult time with achieving them.
.
Recently I had cause to readdress my earlier efforts at writing a hook for both my overall Forbidden World Chronicles storyline and Book One of the series, Caged Heart ~ The Last Heartbound.
.
The question was posed [see QOTW Going Up!]: "What is your one sentence summary of your book?"
.
Since my first attempt failed, I'll not post it here. While the concept of a pitch (or hook) is not entirely lost on me, I concede to the fact that whittling it down to an in-a-nutshell, single--albeit complicated--sentence is.
.
Plus, as I learned from version one, I spilled a few too many of those ever-precious, proverbial beans. But, I set about to rework it after reading the subsequent, follow-up lesson. [see Elevator Pitch in More Detail.]
.
Here is the pitch for Book One of The Forbidden World Chronicles:
Caged Heart ~ The Last Heartbound
.
A young divorcee and author, hooks up with a world-renown rock band that uses their tour to search for the last surviving member of a team caught entering this world in order to find and rescue its most secret prisoner.
I'll let you know if I get a passing grade.
.

No comments: