Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Query Letters and Hype

Writing Tip of the Day: April 15, 2008
Remove any hype from your query letter or book proposal.
Hype will always shine through to the experienced editor.
.
This one couldn't be more timely! I just finished writing a query letter and submitted it to a leading publication. I wanted to include one of my blogs, as part of my resume, so I hopped over here, scrolled down, and read today's tip. Timely indeed.
.
As I read, the very notion of hype forced me to reread my query. Immediately upon re-entering Word and my document, I looked especially to the second paragraph.
.
I suppose, depending on the editor, that paragraph might come across as hype. I'm not 100% sure, but hoping not. I left it in because it validates how someone else viewed a part of my past, and how she took and incorporated it into her own celebration. So, I believe I'll leave it for now; in the subsequent, simultaneous submissions.
.
This is my first query and possible submission in many years. If there are no takers, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience. But, as I stated in the sports analogy post, I really don't want to give an editor any undue excuse to sack me.
.
I do have one other option, though, and the deadline is fast approaching.
.


No comments: