Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tuesday's Tip for March 31st

.
The day started out beautiful. The sun peaked over the horizon and rose into a cloud-filled sky. We’ve a bit of a storm front moving in today, so that luscious blue sky is now a wintery gray. I can report, though [while out picking up another chance at a laptop], much of the Forsythia are abloom. And there are daffodils and hyacinths about as well. The Magnolia’s are in full array. And the Ornamental Pears, Dogwoods, and Crabapples are just beginning to unfold and show their color. The Midwest is mere hours away from the full delight of Spring.
.
I do miss the Crabapple tree, though, that stood across the street, and straight out of my second floor window. It was my true herald of the new season. I love the contrast of the generally darker bark against the new fresh foliage. But, as some of you might recall, the trunk of that tree suffered severe damage last year when it split, after a high winds storm, and needed to be felled. There is nothing to its compare in my immediate view.
.
As I drove along this morning, I also noticed the current price of regular gasoline, up .30 cents literally overnight to $2.09, is now back down [for today anyway] to $1.97. Funny how the price at the pump came down so drastic last year, but the food pricing never followed suit. My favorite whole grain/sprouted breads are still well over $5 a loaf. And the two quart jug of my favorite orange juice has climbed to almost $7.00.
.
One week it was at the regular price of $5.49, and not looking like it was selling, I might add. That section of the case was full, while the quart-sized containers looked picked over. I’m in the store just a few days later to find the regular price of $5.49, is now the sale price. Did they up it in order to sell it at the new sale price? Are we that gullible and/or willing? Or is it merely more along the lines of climate change and crop damage and the price is not coming down; regardless the prices at the pump? I luvs me orange juice, but-
.
I’m getting a little more Twitter Savvy each day. I’m still learning the little ins and outs, so—if I’ve missed answering or responding; ReTweeting, or simply understanding all the Tweells and Tweestles— please forgive. But! I just added a new background tile to my site, and rewrote my bio. I do have one complaint, though. When trying to access the more option, at the bottom of the page, it simply will not load the older posts. I'm dead in the water as regards my attempt to catch up on a conversation or posts from an offsite conference.
.
All of this should have been yesterday’s blog post, but I was busy with [what time I could spend in this chair], making sure I have all the necessary Patches, System Packs, Upgrades, and overall Dewormers in place for the Conflicker Worm! [See: Cool down on Conflicker panic…] Thank you, Lynda, for helping my brain-fogged mind to remember.
.
By the way! Romance writer, Lynda Lukow, is giving away a print copy and pdf copy of Every Heart Has Its Day. To win, visit her site and enter the Sweet Treats Contest. Winners will be announced on April 13th. And just in case you'd care to know, Reese Easter Eggs are my absolute favorite!
.
Finally! ~~ Here we are at today’s portion of the post. ~~NOTE: Next week’s tip is already in the can, so next time around this'll appear all the more concise. Now, here is my preliminary delicacy of advice.
.
Getting Your Point Across.
.
Tip: Never underestimate the value of allowing someone else to read your work prior to submission.
.
How much new advice can any given writer offer another? Lots! There's as much as anyone is willing to share. And it's out here. As much as any new writer is willing to absorb. I've found writers are quite wonderful at sharing. But that can be said of much of the artistic world. Whether you find what you're looking for online, at the bookstore, from a writer's conference, within a group, or all of the above, most understand it's simply the need to express oneself.
.
I read a great article many years ago in a popular nature photography magazine No. Unfortunately I remember neither the publication nor the photographer being interviewed. But— the writer asked whether he [as most of the professionals are still men] saw new photographers as a serious threat or competition. He said no. Not at all. Because he knew that no two people would ever see the same landscape, on the same day, in the same light. Their vantage points, their point of view, would always be different. That answer thrilled me to no end!
.
Every writer, whether of fact or fiction, writes based on their life experience. And every new writer inevitably searches for another pair of trusted eyes. We all suffer the pangs of bearing one’s soul and eventually offer up some portion of our manuscripts to critique. What we get back, depends entirely on where we are in the process. For the sake of today’s tip, let's say it’s a matter of perspective.
.
A writer being too close to his or her own work is an occupational hazard. Before any given manuscript ends up in the hands of a potential editor, it behooves us to ensure the words written, read as we intend them understood. Especially when building enticing new worlds, it’s important to know we’ve not taken anything for granted. And it’s each writer's responsibility to ask the necessary questions, so that our intentions are not be misconstrued or twisted around by someone else’s ill interpretation.
.
So. It's up to every writer to muster up the strength to dust off their courage and hand over their heart to someone they trust. There's great value in another pair of eyes. Ones that might find a whole that needs to be filled. Or a landscape in need of a better, stronger view. And who knows. One day while you're paying it forward, those invaluable eyes may well end up being yours.
.
Blessings

No comments: