Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Etched in Stone

Writing Tip of the Day: Oct. 28, 2008
Never resist editing, because your writing isn't etched in stone
and can always be improved for the reader.
.
In speaking to this tip alone, I'm dividing those of us who write into two categories. Those who write for themselves and those who aspire to readership. I am reminded that writers, of the latter, have a responsibility to make their intent clear.
.
For me this lies in the area of what I tend to take for granted and forget to expound upon. I see the setting, I've got everything going on in my head and simply forget to include some of the details. There are also the times I've been known to go overboard. I like details. But, I'm working to add detail with the movement of the story. But when is enough too much or too little? When one is so close to their own work, that may well take a second pair of eyes.
.
I'll be looking for a trusted pair of those. After all, I'm not just writing for my own pleasure. I write to provoke thought and to show another possible way. And for that I need always think on how someone else sees the worlds I share and not allow them to grapple with my intent.
.
Okay, that's it for this tip.
.

No comments: