Thursday, May 7, 2009

A This-n-That Update

.
Remember the shopping I did on ebay? The rose/gray roving from Marathon Alpacas, arrived in Tuesday's mail. Lucy and Pearl buried their noses in the fiber. They approved! And where I'll likely spin the recently-purchased silk on a drop spindle, I really want to use my wheel for the alpaca.
.
I spent a little time this morning working on said spinning wheel. I took a damp [and then dry] cloth to the dust. I set it in front of the window to let the cool breeze air it dry. I'll take a polishing cloth to it tomorrow. Look for a picture some time next week. In the meantime, I need to shop for a maintanence kit. Drive band, footman joint, wheel oil , etc.
.
Here's a photo of Lucy playing Tower Guard. As I brush her I've been saving her discarded hair for spinning into [hopefully] a viable yarn. I need to buy some smaller carders for that, and I believe I know just the ones. This would be another drop spindle project, which is why the Spring 2009 issue of Spin-Off caught my eye the other day. Looking forward to opening the mailbox for that one.
.
I've been considering a new and separate blog for my creative interests. The working title is: All About The Craft. Something I could tie in with an Etsy account. I'm registered there as Heartsong Studio. Maybe the new blog should reflect the same name?
.
I finished knitting one new pattern for the sampler I want to update with an upcoming review. But the second line of written instructions for the second stitch choice stopped me cold. This will be one of the negative aspects of said review. Suffice it to say, I couldn't have picked a more perfect example of the main, but significant, problem I have with this particular INTERWEAVE PRESS book. I'm shooting for posting my review early next week.
.
Time to think on how I will contribute to and support Writer's Worth Day. Aside from upcoming Soul Echoes posts, the first thing that came to mind [as I've got medical bills to pay] was-- find a paying gig! I pulled up the Online Job Boards found @ The Working Writer's COACH, and will get familiar with what's available. I surfed through LinkedIn a couple of weeks ago. And there's Anne Wayman's regular posts on @ About Freelance Writing. There's also an article that Devon Ellington wrote--but I don't remember whether it's one of her blog articles, or a guest blog post. Aa great deal to learn before I signoff on anything. But one thing I need to ask of myself, is surfing the boards the best use of my limited time? Or should I make my interests work for me? More on this in a separate Writer's Worth post.
.
I finally updated my review of Hex Breaker. But with that, along with trying to figure out how the Twibes feature works on Twitter, I totally forgot about this week's Tuesday's Tip. How am I going to manage a paying gig [albeit a temporary one], when I forget the commitment to my own blog?
.
I made three trips to the garage this morning, with the items I'm downsizing to a future garage sale. I have one of those collapsible carts to help with transporting boxes, but you wouldn't believe how long it took me to dawdle both ways. Cart handle in one hand; cane in the other. But, I also looked for and brought out a few old terra cotta pots to clean up and use for planting my strawberries.
.
Getting the kitchen ready for some serious food dehydrating, as the oxygen absorbers arrived in the mail earlier this week as well. The overall problem is my counter space is soooo small! I'll get it figured out though.
.
I'm starting to feel those trips to the garage and am now heading down to the couch for recovery mode time.
.
Blessings,

No comments: