Saturday, January 10, 2009

Queries and Ghosts

This is a very quick post today.
.
Stop by Lea's blog for a wonderfully insightful discussion [resulting from yesterday's post] regarding query letters, and whether a writer should seek help in writing one, hire it out to a freelance ghost writer, or summon up the courage and perfect it his or herself. The respect that we've all a right to expect, whether we be the writer, the potential agent, editor or publisher, also factored and weighed in from all sides of the table.
.
You might also want to stop by the following blog: Nathan Bransford~Literary Agent [soon to be added to my Blogs I'm Following list!], and read More on Ghost Queries, which is what fueled Lea's post and subsequent intellectual rant. Their perspectives are invaluable; whether old or new to the business of words.
.
Blessings

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I personally don't have a problem with a writer using a ghost to write a query letter. A query letter is only a business tool, not the art that the novel or story is. That said, I would always write my own query letter only because I would never want to have anyone other than myself to blame for it not hitting the mark.

Anonymous said...

I commented on Nathan's blog. I think it's part of the writer's job to learn how to write a good query letter. All jobs have skills one needs to learn. I want an agent or editor to be interested in ME, not someone mimicking my voice.

There's a difference between having help crafting a great query and jobbing it out.