Wednesday, November 4, 2009

It's That Time of Year Again! NaNoWriMo.

Switching gears....
.
NANOSTATS: 1992 words
.

Never say die! I first discovered NaNoWriMo in 2006. The only year to which I can attach any sort of bragging rights. I won in 2006. Yay! Unfortunately not long after, a virus attacked my PC and I lost everything on my harddrive. Yeppers! All that work-- completely undone. In January of 2007, I fought off a serious SPAM and Malware attack.

It took weeks to get back to normal. And juuust as I was rolling along, ramping up for NaNo2007, my PC monitor died a most untimely death. I never had a chance. But it helped to reinforce my belief in the underhanded [yet purposeful], reasoning of why they 'just don't make things like the used to.' It's not that they can't! Or even that parts and/or labor are cheaper offshore. If they truly did make certain things like they used to, we'd have no reason [new and improved aside] to buy new ones! But that's a whole other Oprah show.
.
Last year, due to health issues, I simply ran out of physical steam. I need to look up my final word count, but I don't believe I even reached 10K words. This year I'm relying heavily on that old adage about the third time being the charm.
.
Sunday last [November 1st] was the ever-precious Day One. Where was I? Sleeping. Friday and Saturday I started coughing, and by Sunday I was a tad bit concerned that it might be the beginnings of the flu. I really don't want to have to deal with the flu right now. Therefore I reasoned it more likely to be a chest cold; as I'm prone [this time of year] to forgetting about a window or two being left open at night. I hate when it's time to start closing up the windows.
.
Anyway! I digress. I made a trip to the drug store and have since stepped up my intake of vitamins. I pretty much spent Sunday and Monday curled up on the couch, dressed in warm sweaters; underneath a cozy blanket of down. And though I woke up hoarse, yesterday, I actually felt much better. But before I could settle in, and key with wild abandon, I had to address the c:drive.
.
It started screaming at me again so I backed up and cleared out a few more pdf and Word.doc files. Late in the evening, I finally keyed in some roughed-out handwritten notes and updated 35o [and some odd] words into my NaNo profile. I was ON THE GRID!
.
... And so it begins!
.
Today, feeling much, much better, I started NaNo by finding where I left off last year and finished keying in the last half of Chapter Seven: A Run Through the Forest, which happens to be the end of Part One.
.
I've got a mishmosh of scenarios for the Prologue to Part Two, and I've decided to just key them all in. I'll decide later where and/or how best to use them. For now, I'll close this post with the opening verse of Part Two, The Searching:

Where are you
.who sees this world
..through eyes of emerald green
Who lies in wait
.and shares the pain
..we suffer when we dream

..........~Perrie Stevens, Part Two of Caged Heart
..........~Dellasseea N'Syis, The FirstBorn Daughter of the Primal Elements, The First Ones.

That's pretty much it for me today. I do not intend fretting over being a few days behind at this point. Especially when, in 2006, I didn't even discover the world of NaNoWriMo [that's 50,000 words in 30 days], until almost an entire week into the month. That's the year a won! Remember? And seeing as how it's time for another break, I'll consider the makeup strategy tomorrow.
.
Blessings

No comments: