Monday, March 24, 2008

The Quality & Value of One's Work

Writing Tip of the Day: March 24, 2008
Believe in the quality of your work and the value of your message
and at the same time, recognize surprises always happen in publishing.

To me there's a 'stop second guessing your work' in that suggestion. And I'm more than willing to entertain, OK-- I'm ready and waiting, for those above-mentioned "surprises." But, jovial banter aside, if I didn't believe in my work, I wouldn't be so persistent. Yes, I've suffered periods of time where it all sat on a back burner. Life Happens! But I've always come back; it's reason never wanes.
.
There are varied quoted statements regarding, 'the writers who never give up are the ones who get published, i.e.,
A professional writer is an ameteur who never gave up. ~Richard Bach
I know I'm just that stubborn. I also know some people are annoyed by that trait. But that depends entirely on their use of me. Regardless the slant, I've found it of value; at times. It's not like I don't know I occasionally stumble over my own stubbornness. But that's a whole other Oprah Show.
.
I so believe in the value of my work, that I've risked bearing my soul when I offered up copies to be critiqed. I've put my ego aside and shouldered their comments or suggestions. I may not always agree. To me that simply means, I need make myself better understood.
.
I've unbelievably said no to a date, "Not tonight," to a guy [my family was determined to fix me up.] because he continued to call on nights I determined, "writing nights." OK! I wasn't really 'into him.' And, fancy smancy cars don't impress me. I refused to let him [or them] dissuade me from what I wanted to accomplish.
.
It's a lonely art; chiseling your thoughts. If I'm to reap the potential rewards, I need eagerly believe and value my work. And never give it up.

No comments: