Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday Morning Gardening

.
The Sun was barely up when I set out to putter in my humble little garden. That's the one I planted while I was a few weeks offline; with another dead pc monitor. I'm currently using a loaner [Thank you, Raymond!] , but have a resource to see if my 19" Flatron can be repaired. More on that later!
.
This post is about gardening. I'd already set the stakes for the two tomato plants, earlier this week. But today, it was time to tie them up.
.
Oh! And let me offer one helpful hint. If you decide to cut costs this year and purchase a package of those green bamboo stakes, just remember to use gloves! That dye brushes off onto everything you touch and does not wash off easily. My hands and nails were a faded green for days.
.
There's another helpful hint I now have the experience to offer. Before anyone sets out to create their own Victory Garden, take in the full account of the project and know your limitations. I wanted to do my part and plant [albeit a small one] and grow my own food, but failed to give consideration to the entire process.
.
Knowing I can no longer plant and work a proper garden is one thing. Deciding to utilize the empty containers sitting in my garage doing nothing, is another. But failing to consider the basic maintenance and the toll it has already taken on my ailing body, well-- for now, let's just write that off to brain fog.
.
I also believed that gardening would help get me outdoors and keep said foggy brain more active. But watering my future crops has me in recovery mode every morning. I make at least 3-4 trips, inside and back out, with my watering cans. At very least, I eventually gave thought to, and now take a foot stool out so I can sit as I water. That's been of tremendous help.
.
Getting it all planted had me recovering for days. Setting out and fussing with those tomato stakes had me in recovery mode for hours. Even container gardening goes not well with a degenerating and OA-ridden spine. Securing the tomato plants this morning, has me sitting here, again, with the heating pad on HIGH! And I can't sit here much longer.
.
But here's a quick update on the fruits of my labor.
.
That first little everbearing strawberry that formed in my hanging berry patch, is just turning red and will be ready to pluck in a matter of days! And my first Roma tomato has taken its beautiful meaty oblong shape. Oh for the first salad they end up in!
.
There are also the bush [not vining] cucumbers. I found the first liddy biddy inch long cuke nestled underneath all those prickly leaves. I'm so looking forward to the first few slices of homegrown cucumber.
.
I need to do a little research, though, as I've discovered SOMEthing is nibbling at my eggplants. Only one plant so far [of the two varieties I planted], is showing wholes in the leaves, but I've never grown eggplant before, so I'm not familiar with the possible pests.
.
The Radicchio is coming along nicely [as you can see to the left. I have two pots of that.], but I've had to go out late in the day to re-water. And, I've already harvested a few White Sage leaves and brewed my first pot of tea. I've found absolutely nothing more soothing than the first swallow of sage tea.
.
I came up here [to my studio office] with the scent of tomato plants still on my hands. Regardless the pain, I've been too long away from that kind of smell. Purchasing twine isn't in my budget right now, so I made a quick decision on which spool of 1/4 inch ribbon to sacrifice to the cause. And as I tied, pulled at, and straightened the branches and stems, I took the quiet of the new day to thank them for being here. With the sky as my church, this is where I find and have known the Creator. By being with and respecting Nature.
.
Need to go now; my back is screaming!
.
Have a wonderful day, and Blessings to All.

No comments: